Sunday, August 18, 2013

What's in a Room?

This post is, in fact, inspired by a silly twitter trend: #10FactsAboutMyRoom

Twitter trends might not be all that silly.  They have the power to overshadow important matters, elevate lesser-knowns, and make someone's life a living hell.  I'm not interested in providing a twitter how-to or etiquette lesson, this time around (I only have 93 followers, anyway).  For now, I'm simply sharing 10 Facts About My Room.

Fact #1:  It's a treatment room.
Obvious enough, I know, but the teens behind these twitter trends are talking about their bedrooms.  Like many teens complain, I share my bedroom (though I'm not complaining), but the treatment room is mine.

Fact #2:  I'm renting from Aakilarose Inc, known for Mother's 3rd Arm.
After a series of hits and misses in employment, I swallowed my anxiety and started looking for a space of my own.  Amidst my window-shopping, I told my husband about my tentative plan, then met with my soon-to-be landlord, loved the space, loved the location, and signed some papers.  I hadn't intended for it to happen so quickly, but there we have it.

Fact #3:  I'm not the only tenant.
At a cross-roads in your life?  My room sits between the offices of a psychoanalyst and a mortgage broker.  Perfect location for a massage therapist, wouldn't you say?

Fact #4:  I was afraid the room would be too big.
What's wrong with a bigger room?  Truly, not much.  I was concerned that my client might feel exposed if there were too much distance between the walls and the massage table, even though I always use proper-draping techniques.  It felt more cozy after I purchased a chair, some artwork, a table, and a floor lamp.

Fact #5:  Most of it is second-hand.
"EWWW!  GROSS!"  I guess this fact is geared more toward MTs than clients.  Coming out of massage school, you're looking at a steep bill if you buy everything brand new.  Client health and safety is a top priority, if not the top priority, but you also need to take care of yourself.  Make sure your furniture does not bring an unwanted to scent to your room, wash your linens after each use, and you'll be fine.

Fact #6:  My massage table was included in my tuition.
So long as we completed the program, be it Associates of Applied Science or Diploma, we were permitted to keep our tables.  Though we used the tables in the student clinic every hands-on class-period, there was nothing like bringing our very own, brand-new tables home.

Fact #7:  My friends helped me hang the art-work.
The artwork came from a semi-local used-bookstore.  I didn't trust my eyes alone, so I pulled in other opinions on how to properly display it.  This includes my diplomas and certification.

Fact #8:  The lamp is the centerpiece of the room.
This is also probably the most expensive piece of my room, depending upon how you look at it.  I needed something with indirect lighting that would also match my style.  How jarring would it be to walk into a room with an earthy feel, and then see a neon-colored floor lamp?  Some people might pull this off, but that is not me.  Considering the breaks I've found everywhere else, I didn't mind spending a little more on something so lovely.  It also has a glass table attached, so clients can set their keys or glasses somewhere safe.  Versatility FTW!

Fact #9:  The speakers are the newest addition.
I'm still compiling my music list, but I'm happy to have found a good set of speakers.  I'm not too proud to admit that my husband helped me pick them out.  I also have a friend who's a bit of an audio snob, so when he had little to nothing to say about them, I knew we'd gotten a pretty good deal.

Fact #10:  Working on my friends helped me set up.
Be careful about offering free massages to friends and family; they may inadvertently take advantage.  This is your livelihood; your bread and butter, so to speak.  However, I don't mind spoiling mine, every once in a while.  Before opening my doors to the public, I work on my friends.  You can google a checklist, but these went into too much detail for my liking.  You'll know exactly what you need when you don't have it, and I'm glad I had my friends on hand (haha) to help me figure out what my office required.

No comments:

Post a Comment