Monday, October 21, 2013

Don't design your own...

Before planning our own business cards, my classmates and I were given a series of examples of what NOT to do.  Some cards seemed more intent on spiritual enlightenment than massage (which is fine, if that's your shtick), several were too disorganized to hold anyone's attention, and I remember one in particular that looked questionable.  It gave me a mental picture of a rusty old trailer at the edge of town and oil-stained linens, to say nothing about the appearance of the practitioner herself.

Business card templates can't help with shoddy-lookin selfies, but they can help with organization.  Your preferred word processor (mine is Pages) should come with a selection of templates from which to choose, and examples of how to fill in the desired information.  It's pretty simple.  And if you don't want to print your own, you can always head over to Vista Print.  AMTA members get a discount with this service.

As for websites...goodness, there are some bad ones out there.  Seeing as I use NeoCities to build my website, I'll recommend browsing through the websites they support.  Don't stop at "last updated".  Also consider the sites with the most hits.  There's no accounting for taste, but there must be a lesson worth learning somewhere in there.  "Leave it to the professionals", perhaps?  In that case...

There's a possibility that my website could show up in a WHAT NOT TO DO segment of a business class.  However, if this hypothetical class took the time to learn a bit about me, they might appreciate why it looks so elementary.  While I don't have the tools to host my own domain, I'm happy with 1&1 (yes, that's my referral link), and I'm immeasurably grateful for NeoCities and their Ground Floor for giving me the tools to learn how to build my own website.

Conclusion:  Work within your means.  I'm not interested in giving you a list of DOs and DON'Ts, but a WHY for what I'm doing might be of some assistance.


Looking for a domain registrar?
1&1
dnsimple
Domain Monster
Name
Namecheap
*List compiled by brief survey.  Do your homework before settling!

No comments:

Post a Comment