Thursday, August 8, 2013

Business & Website & Blog (oh my!)

I rented space to start my business this past May.  My landlord is awesomely enthusiastic, so I felt a little sheepish telling him that I didn't have a website, at the time.  "I do have a Twitter account, though!"  I told him. 

It's okay; you can laugh.  It's kinda funny.

I'd purchased my domain, gesundheitmassage.com, back in 2011 from 1&1.com, and sat on it.  I didn't want to use templates, but I also didn't know how to start a site from scratch.  I started reading the CSS Missing Manual, but I didn't have a sandbox to test what I was reading.  Early this year, I gave AMTA's free website a try, then dropped it like a snob.

Enter NeoCities.

They launched in May, and they are – you guessed it – a reincarnated form of GeoCities.  My husband told me about it many times beforehand, but I was skeptical.  Mid-July, he "hijacked" my laptop and showed me exactly what it is.  I immediately signed up with gesundheitmassage.neocities.org and spent the next two hours tweaking and playing with their default HTML.

I'd have stuck with the sub-domain for a while if NeoCities' Kyle Drake hadn't tweeted this:

A few hours later, with the help of my programmer husband (I'm not too proud to admit assistance), I was all set.
I'm won further over by good humor.

With my simple website fully-functional, if a little sparse, I've decided that (why not?) it is time to start a blog.

What do massage therapists blog about?  While I collect my own thoughts, please enjoy the following favorites of mine:
LMT or Bust by Kat Mayerovitch
Save Yourself by Paul Ingraham
Massage St Louis by Alice Sanvito
Writing a Blue Streak by Allissa Haines
Is This Thing On? by Kelli Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment